Disallow auto updates across LTS milestone
This is an empty commit to reflect the changes made in
Omaha config in release notes.
RELEASE_NOTE=Disallow auto updates across LTS milestone
diff --git a/README.md b/README.md
index 6080ff9..5278cff 100644
@@ -14,33 +14,20 @@
# How to run
- Policy Manager must be run with root privileges in order to access update_engine status and control device policy.
-- Run modes:
- * Daemon Mode
- Continuously reports status and fetches update policy from metadata server.
- * Non-Daemon Mode
- Prints the current status to stdout.
+- It continuously reports status and fetches update policy from metadata server under `monitor` mode.
# What's up with update [policy, strategy, config]?
Part of Policy Manager's features is to allow users to control the OS update behavior of
their COS instances.
-COS has defined 2 update *stategies* that users can choose:
- 1. All Updates
- Instances will receive all OS updates.
- 2. Critical Updates Only
- Instances will only receive updates within their major release version. For
- example, if both 12.1.0 and 13.0.0 are available, an instance running 12.0.0
- will only get updated to 12.1.0 if it has this strategy.
-The update manager generates update *config* that is fetched by Policy Manager when it
-reports its status to the update manager. The config depends on the instance's
-status and the user's update strategy.
+Instances will only receive updates within their major release version. For
+example, if both 12.1.0 and 13.0.0 are available, an instance running 12.0.0
+will only get updated to 12.1.0 if it has this strategy.
The actual enforcement of the strategies are done by the update *policy*, which
is a Chrome OS feature. An update policy is a protobuf blob that contains the
parameters that will be used to fetch updates from Omaha. Policy Manager is responsible
-for generating the update policy blobs from update config.
+for deciding when to enable or disable the update engine.
- To build and test Policy Manager, please run `FEATURES=test emerge-lakitu policymanager`